You are an intellectual? So what?

According to the oxford dictionary an intellectual is a well-educated person who spends time thinking about complicated ideas and discussing them. Another dictionary describes them as somebody with a highly developed ability to reason and understand, especially if also well-educated and interested in the arts or sciences or enjoying activities involving serious mental effort.
My working definition of an intellectual is someone who is an authority in a specific field of study. Simplifying it further is one who is more learned than other people among him/her for example with my bachelors when I am among diploma students, high school students and illiterate village mates I would be considered very learned hence an authority in my field and to them.
I remember when our firstborn brother went to high school, he came home for mid-term and I remember him telling me that they were doing a subject called Chemistry and then he opened the deep freezer and said that the ice due to some chemistry things turns to snow. Well I doubted in my head how ice in our fridge would turn to snow which we used to see on movies on TV especially during Christmas season. But I would not challenge the statement reason, I had no idea what chemistry was and if I challenged what would be my basis he was obviously more learned than me. I just yearned to join form one so that I can learn chemistry and know what makes snow.

The best thing about being an intellectual is you become a master manipulator Paul knew this and used it so well and especially when need arose. Acts 21:37-40 and 22:1-5 …to the soldier he speaks Greek that buys him some time and then to the crowd he speaks Hebrew, he identifies with them and even tells them how educated he is because was a student of Gamaliel – the great teacher of their time. Acts 23:1-11, when before the council he splits the whole council by using something in their doctrines that divides them, which was one group believed in resurrection the other did not.

My point is intellectuals, do not just use your papers and knowledge for your own benefit use them also for the benefit of others it is more rewarding when you help others. For example there are so many theologians out there but are they helping or guidance the church of Christ with their knowledge not anymore.

But seriously all intellectuals could you come out of your comfort zones and give us direction in our country, are theologians intellectuals happy with what we see on our television, are the managers happy with the management of our country, are we comfortable with the political arena… please lay the ground rules for us and guide us we will do the rest.

If you are an intellectual…DO NOT JUST SIT THERE DO SOMETHING.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Masaku sevens ….I hear it was a show to behold….

Donate The Organs Where You Are Going You Will Not Need Them….

Why Do You Care What People Say?…